Submissions are now closed . . .
. . . but you could still record a greeting/sweeper for us.
And if you are queer/LGBTQIA+ and love spending time outdoors, read on to see what we're looking for in future issues of Queer Out Here.
Queer Out Here is an audio zine that explores the outdoors from queer perspectives. We bring together stories and soundscapes from around the world to hear how queerness intersects with and influences people’s experiences of outdoor spaces and activities.
Take our ears adventuring
We want to collect all kinds of interesting outdoors-related sound pieces to add to the mix for the first issue of Queer Out Here. We’re after interviews, field recordings, poetry, music, stories, archive material, trail updates, fiction, reviews, sound art, mini documentaries and more. It doesn’t matter if it’s not perfectly, professionally produced, so long as it holds our attention.
Bring us outside with you. Maybe you’re stargazing with a lover, hiking solo through the desert, cruising in the city parks, skating on the seafront, taking to the streets to protest, attending an outdoors symposium, watching the birds and the bees in your local park, making art or skimming stones. Maybe you’re telling a story or meditating on a theme - through words or music or found sound. Maybe you’re chatting with a friend who forages for dinner or has cycled across continents, someone who works as a gardener or a ranger. Maybe you’re reviewing some travel writing by a queer person of colour (or creating your own) or investigating the queer histories of your city. Maybe you’re reminiscing about the past or dreaming of the future . . .
We’re interested in works by people who identify as queer/LGBTQIA+. If you think you fit the bill, you probably do. Bear in mind that Queer Out Here submissions don’t have to focus on queer/LGBTQIA+ identity, just hit us with your outdoors-themed audio.
- Deadline: Submissions are currently closed and will reopen later in 2018.
- Format: Digital (you can record analogue if you prefer, but you’ll need to convert it before sending it). WAV or AIFF is best, but MP3 is fine.
- Length: Anything from about 30 seconds up to 10 minutes is good - don’t make it longer than it needs to be.
- Language: If any key information in your piece is conveyed in a language other than English, please include interpretation within the piece (preferred) or in the supporting documentation.
- How to submit: Go to the submissions form (currently closed). We’ll ask for your name and contact details (all required), pronouns, social media links, identity/ies, location and <200 word creator bio (all optional). We'll collect some info about your piece, such as title, length and <300 word supporting statement (all required) and transcript (optional). We'll also double check some legal stuff about permissions, usage rights and copyright (all required). The form will take 5-10 minutes if you've prepared everything - longer if you haven't!
- Payment: £10 thank you payment for every submission used in Queer Out Here.*
* We can't pay for submissions that use material obtained under a NonCommercial Creative Commons license or similar. The easiest way to ensure you're all good with copyright and usage permissions is to write/record everything yourself!