Submissions are now closed. Read on to find out what we'll be looking for next time.
If you are queer/LGBTQIA+ and spend time outdoors, we'd love to hear from you. Here's the lowdown.
Queer Out Here is an audio zine that explores the outdoors from queer perspectives. We bring together stories and soundscapes from around the world to hear how queerness intersects with and influences people’s experiences of outdoor spaces and activities.
Take our ears adventuring
We want to collect all kinds of interesting outdoors-related sound pieces to add to the mix for each issue of Queer Out Here. We’re after stories, interviews, field recordings, poetry, music, research, trail updates, fiction, essays, reviews, sound art, mini documentaries and more. It doesn’t matter if it’s not perfectly, professionally produced, so long as it holds our attention.
Bring us outside with you. Maybe you’re stargazing with a lover, hiking solo through the desert, cruising in the city parks, skating on the seafront, taking to the streets to protest, attending an outdoors symposium, watching the birds and the bees in your local park, making art or skimming stones. Maybe you have a critical response to the notion of 'the outdoors', what it means and to whom. Maybe you’re telling a story or meditating on a theme - through words or music or found sound. Maybe you’re chatting with a friend who forages for dinner or has cycled across continents, someone who works as a gardener or a ranger. Maybe you’re reviewing some travel writing by a queer person (or creating your own) or investigating the queer histories of your city. Maybe you’re reminiscing about the past or dreaming of the future . . .
We’re interested in works by people who identify as queer/LGBTQIA+. If you think you fit the bill, you probably do. We're especially keen to hear from folks who are underrepresented in outdoors and/or queer media (e.g. Indigenous people, people of colour, people with disabilities, fat people, people of different faiths, youth and elders, people with experiences of homelessness, neurodivergent/neuroatypical people). Queer Out Here submissions don’t have to focus on identity, just hit us with your outdoors-themed audio.
You can listen to Issue 01 to hear the kinds of pieces we've featured before.
- Deadline: Currently closed to submission.
- Format: Digital (you can record analogue if you prefer, but you’ll need to convert it before sending it). WAV, AIFF and MP3 are all fine.
- Length: Anything from over 30 seconds up to about 10 minutes is good.
- Language: If any key information in your piece is conveyed in a language other than English, please include interpretation within the piece (preferred) or in the supporting documentation.
- How to submit: Via the submissions form (currently closed). The form will take 5-10 minutes if you've prepared everything - longer if you haven't! We’ll ask for:
- Your name, contact details and <200 word creator bio (all required)
- Your pronouns, recording of your name (or pronunciation guidance), social media links, identity/ies and location (all optional)
- Info about your piece, including title, length and <200 word supporting statement (all required)
- Transcript of your piece (optional)
- Confirmation about legal stuff such as permissions, usage rights and copyright (all required)
- Payment: £10 thank you payment for every submission used in Queer Out Here.*
* We can't pay for submissions that use material obtained under a NonCommercial Creative Commons license or similar. The easiest way to ensure you're all good with copyright and usage permissions is to write/record everything yourself. We prefer to make payments via Paypal, but we can also do bank transfers in the UK, Australia and the Eurozone.
(Psst! You could also record a sweeper for us!)